Tuesday, August 21, 2012


Php 3:8-11  "Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith--  that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death that by any means possible I may attain the resurrection from the dead."

There is nothing worth getting in the way of knowing Jesus Christ more deeply. His worth far surpasses anything else that could catch my eyes delight and my hearts affection. In fact everything else that I might count as something of worth is really garbage compared to Jesus Christ. Any worth or righteousness that I could gain in this world from doing things that impress others is a waste. All depends on Jesus Christ, my faith is from Him and in Him. The only thing worth knowing is the power of God in my life that is the same power that raised Jesus Christ from the dead. I want to share all of what He suffered and die to myself so that I live only for Him. 

I haven't gotten there yet. I still fail miserably. I am far from perfect. Thank God that He doesn't approve of me because of any merit in me, He has made me His own simply by mercy, grace and love. He is Absolute Love. So I am pressing towards that love as He is holding love out to me and drawing me in by His love. I press on to know more and more grace, more and more love. By whatever means possible I keep moving up toward what He is calling me to be, His child, in the image of Christ Jesus. 

Php 3:12-14 "Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead,  I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus."

This is the thinking of someone who has been together with Jesus, walking closely with Him. If you have a different idea of what maturity in Christ looks like, God will reveal His will to you. Let us hold true to the level of love towards God that we have attained. 

Php 3:15, 16  "Let those of us who are mature think this way, and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal that also to you.  Only let us hold true to what we have attained."

You can imitate my walk and follow the example of other mature followers of Christ.

Php 3:17  "Brothers, join in imitating me, and keep your eyes on those who walk according to the example you have in us."

There are many who walk in a way that is against love and against dying to self. They have an earthly bent and they glorify themselves to their shame, they worship their own appetites which drive them and they will end up destroyed by the very thing they passionately pursue.

Php 3:18, 19  "For many, of whom I have often told you and now tell you even with tears, walk as enemies of the cross of Christ. Their end is destruction, their god is their belly, and they glory in their shame, with minds set on earthly things."

Our place of hope and passion though is eternity. We are people who see our home is where Jesus Christ is at and coming from. When He comes for us He will change us to be like Him, and we will worship Him in loving adoration as all things will be subjected to His mighty power. 

Php 3:20-21  "But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power that enables him even to subject all things to himself."

So because you know all of this, stand firm in the powerful love that is from walking with the LORD Jesus Christ. I love as my family and long that you would be the crowing triumph of joy in your perseverance in following Jesus. 

Php 4:1 " Therefore, my brothers, whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, stand firm thus in the Lord, my beloved."

No comments:

Post a Comment