Wednesday, October 3, 2012


Joh 4:1 -27  "Now when Jesus learned that the Pharisees had heard that Jesus was making and baptizing more disciples than John  (although Jesus himself did not baptize, but only his disciples), he left Judea and departed again for Galilee." 

The religious elite were starting to get their pride hurt, they were worried. Those who made themselves as the authority over what to believe and not believe, heard about Jesus surpassing John in the people hearing of the message of repentance and new direction by being baptized, were losing their grip on the people. They despised Jesus, though Jesus wasn't baptizing people, His followers took up the ministry of baptism. 
He knew what the religious leaders would do because they felt threatened in their authority. They had been teaching that the way to God was through obeying the rules they had set up. They knew this was the way to stay in control. They wanted to play God and there was no room for Jesus to be God.

Jesus wanted to complete His mission in The Fathers timing, so he left Judea to go to Samaria. The self-righteous religious leaders wouldn't be caught dead there. 

Jesus rested by Jacob's well as His closest followers went in to town to get some food. Jesus saw a woman there who came to draw water. Jesus said " Will you give me a drink of water. 
The woman was stunned first Jewish Rabbis don't even come to the region they travel around outside of Samaria. Then they certainly don't interact with Samaritans and speak openly with a woman. 

She thought, "How is this man different!"

Joh 4:4 - 9  "And he had to pass through Samaria.  So he came to a town of Samaria called Sychar, near the field that Jacob had given to his son Joseph. Jacob's well was there; so Jesus, wearied as he was from his journey, was sitting beside the well. It was about the sixth hour. A woman from Samaria came to draw water. Jesus said to her, "Give me a drink."  (For his disciples had gone away into the city to buy food.)  The Samaritan woman said to him, "How is it that you, a Jew, ask for a drink from me, a woman of Samaria?" (For Jews have no dealings with Samaritans.) " 

Jesus answered, "You don't even accept gifts from God given freely, for if you knew what I could give and who "I Am"; you would ask for the water that brings eternal life, from me."  
"Are you kidding me," the woman said. "You don't have a way to get water and you are not greater than Jacob who provided this well. He was a direct descendant of Abraham."
"Why yes, I am greater"; Jesus went on. I gave life to Jacob and Abraham and they followed my leading. They were able to give water to the people, but this water, people drink and get thirsty again. I am talking about providing an eternal satisfaction, something that completely fulfills your needs. The gift I provide will be an eternal internal spring of life." 

Te woman said, "That is what I really want to have, I don't want to have to come out here anymore by myself."

Joh 4:10 - 15 "Jesus answered her, "If you knew the gift of God, and who it is that is saying to you, 'Give me a drink,' you would have asked him, and he would have given you living water." The woman said to him, "Sir, you have nothing to draw water with, and the well is deep. Where do you get that living water?  Are you greater than our father Jacob? He gave us the well and drank from it himself, as did his sons and his livestock." Jesus said to her, "Everyone who drinks of this water will be thirsty again,  but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again. The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life." The woman said to him, "Sir, give me this water, so that I will not be thirsty or have to come here to draw water." 

Jesus told her to to bring her husband. He wanted her to know that He wasn't talking about escaping life and its problems. It was about new love being poured out in her heart in order to renew and redeem relational health. Her relational interactions were all a mess and they caused her to have to hide and sneak about in order to avoid relational interactions. 

Joh 4:16 - 18 "Jesus said to her, "Go, call your husband, and come here."  The woman answered him, "I have no husband." Jesus said to her, "You are right in saying, 'I have no husband';  for you have had five husbands, and the one you now have is not your husband. What you have said is true." 

The woman said; "I can tell you have Spiritual perception that goes beyond mere human understanding. You are talking about being in right relationship with God. You are talking about the way to give God proper honor and be in relationship in a way that honors God." She said; " I know that we believe the proper place of worship is here on the mountain, but your religion says you must be in Jerusalem to give God proper respect and honor."
Jesus said; " It's not the place or the ritual that makes your approach o God acceptable, it is your inner spirit and the truth in your heart. The way you live in truth and love is first and foremost in God's judgment." 

Joh 4:19 -24 "The woman said to him, "Sir, I perceive that you are a prophet.  Our fathers worshiped on this mountain, but you say that in Jerusalem is the place where people ought to worship." Jesus said to her, "Woman, believe me, the hour is coming when neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem will you worship the Father.You worship what you do not know; we worship what we know, for salvation is from the Jews.  But the hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father is seeking such people to worship him. God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth." 

The woman revealed her hearts desire; " I know the one sent from God, our savior and king He is coming. When He comes He will reveal the truth to all us and we will be reconciled in everything." 
Jesus said; "I AM" I speak as the very Word of God to you. I am Yahweh. I am Absolute Love. I am the healer of relationships. 


Joh 4:25, 26  "The woman said to him, "I know that Messiah is coming (he who is called Christ). When he comes, he will tell us all things."  Jesus said to her, "I who speak to you am he." 



No comments:

Post a Comment