Thursday, September 8, 2011

Why not Unconditional Love?

The following is an e-mail conversation between a Christian Friend that I respect and myself about unconditional love. 

 My e-mail
One question: Is God’s love really unconditional?

I heard you say that, and it is a very overused phrase I hear, but I do not see it anywhere in the Bible. In fact I see lots of conditions that put us in the position to experience the love of God.

For instance, Deu 5:9-10  You shall not bow down to them or serve them; for I the LORD your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments.

Even in John 3:16 there seems to be the condition of “belief” ; also see John 3:18 unbelief is basis of condemnation not of receiving God’s love.

I know that we cannot earn God’s love, or become worthy of God’s love. I only believe that saying God’s love is unconditional is counter to Scripture, a way to let us off the hook from fearing God “the beginning of wisdom”.

I think we can talk about God’s faithful love, unfailing love, steadfast love or even absolute love, but isn’t it a mistake to talk of unconditional love? I believe this sends a message counter to Scripture.

Friends e-mail response
Hmmm, good question, I have to say that I am not certain.  It might be semantics, but I think maybe you are talking about God’s favor instead of God’s love.  Certainly, there are many things that Israel did…and we can do…to get out of God’s favor.  However, his love seems to be pretty steady.

John 3:16 does say that Because God loved the world – in its current fallen state of sin – He sent His Son...then our ‘favorable position’ with God is dependent on our belief.

Romans 8 says “nothing” can separate us from the love of God.

I hear you loud and clear.  Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe God’s love to be unconditional to the humanity that He created.  His favor, on the other hand, is completely conditioned on our response to Him.

My e-mail response
Yes, I see your point. However I am still uncomfortable with the sense that unconditional love portends. It may be only semantics, I would be more comfortable with God's unceasing love, eternal love or never ending love.
>
> Unconditional love, I believe, sends the wrong message and may be often misused and misunderstood. (Jacob I have loved, But Esau I have hated)
>
> Pro 6:16-19 There are six things that the LORD hates, seven that are an abomination to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that make haste to run to evil, a false witness who breathes out lies, and one who sows discord among brothers.
>
> Who are the people who cannot be separated from God's love? (Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.) Is this a conditional statement?
>
> Php 3:8-11 Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith-- that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, that by any means possible I may attain the resurrection from the dead.


My friends e-mail response
I'll go with "eternal love".  :-)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment