Sunday, August 28, 2011

Jon 2:7-10 "When my life was fainting away, I remembered the LORD, and my prayer came to you, into your holy temple. Those who pay regard to vain idols forsake their hope of steadfast love. But I with the voice of thanksgiving will sacrifice to you; what I have vowed I will pay. Salvation belongs to the LORD!" And the LORD spoke to the fish, and it vomited Jonah out upon the dry land."


"Idolatry is a provocation because it gives what is due to Yahweh, worship, to those who are not worthy of worship. Not only does it deny Yahweh the glory due his name, but idolatry also corrupts and destroys those who engage in it. Yahweh is thus provoked because of his supreme love for himself and because of his concern for what is good for his people. Idolatry corrupts and destroys lives and Yahweh is too righteous to be unconcerned that he does not discipline. The discipline is meant to lead to salvation." James M. Hamilton Jr.     God's Glory in Salvation through Judgment Crossway 2010

*Yahweh the personal name or God in the Tanakh (Old Testament) usually translated Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment