Tuesday, February 21, 2012


Rom 7:4  "Likewise, my brothers, you also have died to the law through the body of Christ, so that you may belong to another, to him who has been raised from the dead, in order that we may bear fruit for God." 

A sense of belonging, being a part of and one with another is what we all long for in relationship. We were made for relationship. Loving, caring relationship. This is what our redemption in Christ has brought us into, not a written code like a marriage certificate, but in the spirit of people who love each other. I would sacrifice anything for my wife -except my relationship with Jesus- He is Absolute Love. 
Is the current debate over who should be granted the rights of civil union a matter of religious and anti-religious captivity to fleshly desire? I think arguments could be made both ways. I do believe that the state should nor discriminate for or against any religion. Law is a means of protection and service to all lawful citizens, but a means of punishment to law breakers. A type of wide eyed grace and a  blind judge. Captivity by grace and within grace relieves us from judgment. He is the Absolute Love.
Have you died? 

Rom 7:5,6  "For while we were living in the flesh, our sinful passions, aroused by the law, were at work in our members to bear fruit for death.  But now we are released from the law, having died to that which held us captive, so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit and not in the old way of the written code." 

This doesn't mean that the law is in any way negative, but the magnifying glass of law, focuses in on our weakness and rebellion outside of grace. 
For Paul this was especially pointed, His adherence to the Law, His zealous concern for the law, deceived him into thinking it was a following of the law to kill the followers of Jesus. He lost sight of the spirit of the law, within the letter of the law. This is the trap of all who try to climb to God through works of the law. The Spirit of Absolute Love is replaced by our own attempts for recognition. 

Rom 7:7-12  "What then shall we say? That the law is sin? By no means! Yet if it had not been for the law, I would not have known sin. For I would not have known what it is to covet if the law had not said, "You shall not covet." But sin, seizing an opportunity through the commandment, produced in me all kinds of covetousness. For apart from the law, sin lies dead.  I was once alive apart from the law, but when the commandment came, sin came alive and I died. The very commandment that promised life proved to be death to me. For sin, seizing an opportunity through the commandment, deceived me and through it killed me. So the law is holy, and the commandment is holy and righteous and good." 

Was it the Law then, that caused sin? No! Paul wanted to do what was right in pleasing God. Getting caught up in that zealous desire for recognition from God and others, the law was used by His desires to do the opposite of the law. "Do not commit murder." "Do not bear false witness." Going so far as to not even recognizing who  God is: "Who are you Lord?"
Much of that kind of law keeping is in the modern day church, but the Law of God continues to proclaim it's goodness, through us. 

Rom 7:13-16  "Did that which is good, then, bring death to me? By no means! It was sin, producing death in me through what is good, in order that sin might be shown to be sin, and through the commandment might become sinful beyond measure.  For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am of the flesh, sold under sin. For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. Now if I do what I do not want, I agree with the law, that it is good." 

Here then, is where all true believers come. The closer you get to God, through the Spirit by a faithful relationship to Jesus- the more and more you get a sense of your own sinfulness. 
As in the loving relationship with my wife, i more and more find I want to encourage her, hug her, tell her how much I care, but  I fail to do so. 
I want to serve the law of God and show how deeply appreciative of the relationship I have with Him in Christ, yet I am weak and sinful in my trying. The journey into Absolute love has only begun it is not completed. 


Rom 7:17-23  "So now it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me.  For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out.  For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing.  Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me.  So I find it to be a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand.  For I delight in the law of God, in my inner being,  but I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members." 

I cry out in need and He is there behind the cry, He is Absolute Love. 

Rom 7:24, 25  "Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?  Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin." 

No comments:

Post a Comment