Thursday, March 1, 2012


Rom 9:4-8 "They are Israelites, and to them belong the adoption, the glory, the covenants, the giving of the law, the worship, and the promises. To them belong the patriarchs, and from their race, according to the flesh, is the Christ who is God over all, blessed forever. Amen.  But it is not as though the word of God has failed. For not all who are descended from Israel belong to Israel, and not all are children of Abraham because they are his offspring, but "Through Isaac shall your offspring be named. This means that it is not the children of the flesh who are the children of God, but the children of the promise are counted as offspring."

You might have an advantaged upbringing, a pedigree of sorts. You may have a privileged state of existence. This doesn't give you standing before God. Living in faith through belief in His promises is what counts with God. 
He doesn't discriminate, all may come. You become His child through belief, not through position. You cannot work to deserve or earn His love. He is Absolute Love. You can only accept or reject the love He offers. 

Rom 9:9-14  "For this is what the promise said: "About this time next year I will return, and Sarah shall have a son." And not only so, but also when Rebekah had conceived children by one man, our forefather Isaac,  though they were not yet born and had done nothing either good or bad--in order that God's purpose of election might continue, not because of works but because of him who calls-- she was told, "The older will serve the younger." As it is written, "Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated." What shall we say then? Is there injustice on God's part? By no means!"

This is hard to swallow for many. God is control, not me? I must depend on mercy from Him? He is in control and I am not? I can't do anything that lifts my effort up and diminishes my utterly complete need for grace?

We really like the love part, we think that reflects upon us. No, it is Absolute Love, the absolute reflects only upon Him. He loved us when we were yet enemies, weak and worthless! The worth only comes through Him.

Rom 9:15, 16  "For he says to Moses, "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion." So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy." 

This is not a new concept, it should surprise no one. He is Absolute Love. Your acceptance depends on God's mercy. Not your worthiness.
Exo 33:18,19  "Moses said, "Please show me your glory." And he said, "I will make all my goodness pass before you and will proclaim before you my name 'The LORD.' And I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy." 

No comments:

Post a Comment